Saturday, November 6, 2010

Smartboard Lesson on Geography

I downloaded a lesson in Geography and Map Skills from the Smart Exchange.  It was made by Dana Carlson from Cherry Creek (Long Island?) I adapted it a bit for my own needs by eliminating the Cherry Creek template in which the creators of the lesson have to plug the lesson into the NET standards, and I added a page of my own, which I will explain forthwith.

The lesson correlates nicely with the current PNW BOCES-based lessons on geography and map skills that the third-grade teachers in my district are expected to teach. It shows the northern and southern hemispheres of the globe, delineated by the equator, and the eastern and western hemispheres, divided by the Prime Meridian. It has several interactive activities where children can mark the lines of latitude and longitude with a yellow highlighter, place the names of the continents onto a map of the world, and place the names of the fifty states onto a map of the USA.  I added another page that has the fifty states correctly labeled, so the children can refer to it for verification.

This is a nice, serviceable lesson, or series of lessons on basic geography and map skills--suitable for elementary-aged children. I will use it in our upcoming study of the USA.

2 comments:

  1. Does PNW Boces have a website where you can obtain resources for Social Studies?

    I know the "Science 21" program has resources such as SMART board lessons that you can download and use in the classroom.

    I used this during my student teaching. The sad part was that most FULL TIME teachers were not aware of the free/ fun resources available. Let me know if you find any.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't found any SMART board lessons on the BOCES website----just some suggestions for Discovery Streaming videos. In-service teachers are so busy spinning a hundred plates--there is rarely time to browse.

    ReplyDelete

My response to a question on Quora: Why do I tend to condone the bad things others do to me but tend to amplify the bad things I did ...