Monday, October 11, 2010

Wikis for Wittle Ones Wedux

http://teachersfirst.wikispaces.com/Elementary+Ideas+and+Successes

 I'm thinking of ways to deepen instruction with Wikis.  Here are a couple of ideas that I like:

I like the geometry walk described below because it is a specific and concrete activity that could be enhanced by locating and photographing the objects.


"I'm thinking about letting my 4th grade small groups take a "walk" around campus and locate geometric figures, types of lines, and angles. Then we can post it here and learn to upload pics. If all goes well, maybe the students can add to this by finding geometric concepts outside of the classroom!"

My thoughts: I would like to see the templates and rubrics for this activity that describe the specific activities--do they distinguish between 2-D or 3-D shapes?  Do the children have to describe the attributes of the shapes?  Without a structure children tend to just run around and point, "There's a circle!  There's a square!" Fourth graders should be held accountable for a thoughtful analysis of what they have found.  This develops language and analytical skills.

"We have literature circles in groups of 5 with my 4th students. We conduct our literature discussions on our Wiki!"



My thoughts: This could be an intriguing and motivating enhancement of literature circles.  Again, I would be interested in seeing how focused "Thick" discussion questions are developed--are they generated by the children or the teacher?  What are the protocols for 'talking back" to the books and to each other?




To be honest, I have visited some other early elementary wikis and the quality of the student work has left a lot to be desired.  The technology should not be a substitute or a trendy mask for poorly developed work.




My other thoughts on 2.0--there seems to be an exponential increase in information and opinion--to the point where everyone is writing and no-one is reading other people's work.






I hate to be a Negative Nellie, but I call 'em as I see 'em!
 

3 comments:

  1. Bloggart,

    I would not say that you are being a Negative Nellie at all; actually, I believe that you are drawing important points to the surface of the technological trends. As a high school English teacher, I find an essential skill that most students have yet to master by 11th or 12th grade is their ability to think critically. In life, I believe that this skill takes you further than simple application of ideas. With the increased use of technology, I find that my students become "lazier" due to the availability that technology lends.

    You state, "The technology should not be a substitute or a trendy mask for poorly developed work." I must agree. I am unsure what the curriculum should be for the elementary grades, but from your critique, it seems as if you want more. Your quote summarizes this idea perfectly; teachers should not use technology to enable children, rather they should use it as a tool to INCREASE thinking and learning. It was not created to make education easier; it was created in order to further educate.

    I hope teachers do not lean towards using technology as a crutch for students who are not willing to put more effort into the field of learning. I believe it can be used as a tool to motivate learners to do more. We can start with Wikis, a collaborative tool for students to learn in and out of the classroom following proper guidelines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As an elementary teacher (I've taught 1st, 3rd, and 4th) I'm not sure where wikis would land in my curriculum, if at all. I've also browsed through some of the elementary wiki sites out there and feel, like you, that although a few seem to work well, others don't blow me away.

    If a teacher chooses to use a technology tool with a lesson, it should be because it enhances it or makes it better, in some way - not just so that the teacher can say that they're "using technology in their classroom." Although a lot of the web 2.0 technology is very cool, we have to make sure that its developmentally appropriate and is used in a way that supports standards and demonstrates best-practice! I'm seeing wikis as something that might be more heavily used in the upper grades.

    I've found the whole wiki culture to be something far more exciting to me when I think of it as a something to use to collaborate with other teachers, administrators, and staff. Using wikis for our curriculum mapping, keeping track of resources, and managing the endless paperwork sounds like a great idea to me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think you are being negative, either. Wiki's aren't for everyone, and aren't for every age group.

    I will say this: I enjoy the transparency of wikis. Even wikis that are private. Wikis are created by students by design. Often, they provide a look at a student's independent writing level. This is interpreted as "mediocre" when compared to the well edited papers hanging in the hallway, when in fact, it is a more realistic picture. Many teachers are not comfortable hanging less than perfect work in the hallway.

    ReplyDelete

My response to a question on Quora: Why do I tend to condone the bad things others do to me but tend to amplify the bad things I did ...